Monday, June 3, 2013

31 Weeks

31 weeks pregnant... holy shnikes. I know, I know, I seem surprised every week. It's because I am! It's insane that I'm on the home stretch now. It is June, so I can officially say that Jayne could be coming into this world the end of next month! I'm really hoping she's born in July haha. I'm due August 7th... (so technically I'm not officially 31 weeks until Wednesday, but I always start the week on Sunday or Monday... just for fun. Plus she has always been a little "ahead" according to the doc) but she will hopefully come a little early. Momma can't wait to meet you baby girl!
Welp, last post I talked about how I had to redo the glucose test because I failed it. Well, I failed it again the second time! Boo! I have been "diagnosed" with gestational diabetes. Basically it means that my body doesn't break down sugars how it should. It causes me to have high blood sugar and is harmful to my baby. So scary when I first found out :( There are so many risk factors and everything... I definitely had a break down. But after going to a class and learning all about it and also talking to people who have had it, it really isn't a huge deal. It definitely can be, though, if I don't control my blood sugar. At this class I went to, I learned how to check my blood sugar (poke my finger with the stupid little thing... it doesn't even hurt though. It's just annoying) and things I can/can't eat. I have to check my blood sugar 4 times a day (right when I wake up, and then 2 hours after each meal). It doesn't hurt or anything, which is good because I was super scared at first haha, but it's just annoying. I have to remember what time I eat so I know what time to check it. But the hardest thing is my diet. After going to the class I felt a little better about it, but now after doing this for a week now, I'm realizing that it actually is tough. I used to eat whatever I wanted and whenever basically... I tried to eat healthy of course. It's just hard to find things to eat now. It's weird to know that straight up sweets and carbs do the same thing to my body. Both pretty much are unhealthy for me right now. And yeah, there are carbs in FRUIT. Seriously?? Because of the natural sugars... So basically fruit isn't very good for me right now. If I eat it I can only have a tiny bit. The obvious carbs are bread, pasta, chips, pizza, etc. I can have up to 30 carbs for breakfast, and 45-60 for lunch and dinner. I have tried to eat even less than that though, because my blood sugar shouldn't ever be over 120, and yesterday and today it's gotten up to 111 from eating probably around 40 carbs for one meal. It's so frustrating :( The most frustrating thing is being worried about Jayne. Gestational diabetes can make your baby gain weight too fast and be premature. All I want is a healthy baby, so I'm trying my best to stay positive and be really good at this diet. It honestly is so hard though.... All I want right now is one of those Frosty's from Wendy's that now come in a waffle cone, and cereal (I used to eat 2 bowls a day at least... and guess what. There are lots of carbs in cereal and milk). Meals have been hard to think of... I've been eating a lot of chicken, salads, string cheese, eggs, and other meat. Those things are all super yummy of course, but it's hard when you know you can't eat Hungry Howie's pizza or a plate of spaghetti.
I try to not complain... and I try to remember that I (hopefully) won't have to eat like this for too long. But it's sad knowing I am at risk for type 2 diabetes. I have a fairly high chance of getting it. It's like so depressing haha.
Knowing this is for Jayne though makes it so much easier. I am doing this for my sweet little girl. It is all worth it :)
I am starting to get more tired (probably pregnancy symptoms but also mixed with diabetes) as I'm getting more and more pregnant. I feel more pregnant some days than others. I am grateful I'm not ginormous yet. I hope I don't get ginormous haha. I honestly have lots more better days than bad days, so I'm extremely grateful for that. I'm looking forward to this weekend (family reunion in Pinetop with my husband's family), my sister and her baby girl Payton coming on Monday, and my baby showed next Tuesday! Overall, life is wonderful. I have so much to look forward to :) I will hopefully get used to this diet and it will be over before I know it!

1 comment:

  1. Other than making sure you're careful about your diet, don't sweat the gestational diabetes too much! My mom and my sister-in-law have had it, and they both did fine, had healthy babies, and didn't get type 2 diabetes. As long as you eat healthy and can keep your blood sugar low, you and your baby will be just fine! It's scary to know you are at risk, but just keep doing what you have to and you will be just fine :)

    ReplyDelete